Tuesday, November 4, 2008

"WORK SUCKS! I KNOW!!" -Blink 182

So far all of my faithful followers and friends who think to themselves, "What the hey does charlie do all day??" I shall now delve into that dark and dreary world and divulge the secrets of KCDA. Not really anything thrilling, they always just tell you to make the first sentence of an essay catchy.

So, I work at a place called King County Director's Association. If you can't tell what I do from that you're an idiot. I'm completely joking, but anyway, it is a warehouse that distributes school supplies to all of the schools in Washington. At least I think it's all of them... Anyway, buy from us schools! I shall now use pictures to help illustrate.


Exhibits A and B: The Packing Area

Alright, so this is where most temps end up spending most of their waking hours. Those two tables have rolly thingies (technical terms) with the actual packing table at the end of them. Alright, So, the way the system works is that Pullers, which I am considered one of, go into the aisles (to the right in Exhibit A and to the left in B), referred to commonly as The Sixes. There are other areas that are pulled from and packed in too, but we don't care about all that because I don't do it, and I tried typing that all out and it turned into a buncha unimportant information. Not unlike some books I know. But anyway, we pull from there, and then a person called a Presorter, or a Tote Girl, which I am also trained in doing, and did for most of the summer, takes the things called totes (those blue things that look like recycle boxes that teachers have in their classrooms) that the items were put in, and puts the stickers on them that tell where they are going. Everything is barcoded and things are put together so everything goes to the right place. Then the presorter pushes down the tote depending on what the school code is on it. During the summer it was more complicated because there were a lot of big orders going on, but now it is just whether it is being shipped UPS or Autofrieght. Which will soon lead into my next thing, but I'll finish up here first. So the packers, which I do quite often now, then pack the items in the most efficient way possible and then put the stickers on the side. The boxes are then taken off to shipping.

Exhibit C: UPS
This is the UPS area. Smaller orders are shipped through UPS. Cheaper that way I guess. I am trained in this also. I did it for awhile before my back started really bugging me. I have a bad back already, and it's been aggravated in the past, it just got aggravated even more here. No biggy, I just am done there and work at the packing table. Anyway, things being shipped UPS from all over the warehouse are shipped out from here. I line them up on the rollers in numerical order, scan them to make sure they're all there, weigh them, print out the UPS shipping sticker and packing slips that say what all should be inside, stick the stickers on, slip the slips inside, stack them on pallets, wrap them up, and they're shipped off. That's the dealio, joe!


Exhibit D: An Aisle

Alrighty then, folks, this is a typical aisle. Yep, if this doesn't remind you of the Department of Mysteries from Harry Potter, I don't know what will. Ooh, and on the Harry Potter topic, guess where we enter?? At a door between bay doors nine and ten, or as I like to call it, platform 9 3/4. Anyway, just imagine aisle after aisle of these.
Alrighty folks, I think that's enough to explain it to yall. Hope i was able to get the point across effectively! I have more pictures, but they're mostly just fun and don't help explain stuff so I'll stick them up later or something. I'm actually done at this job on the 21st.... But I also work at Pizza from Paradize on Lea Hill! It really, truly, is the best pizza in Auburn. Try it out people, it's amazing!! But since that's fairly self explanitory, I don't think I need to explain that job. Plus, if you really wanna know what I do, come see me at work at Pizza from Paradize!
Well, that's it for now. As my mom would say, catchya on da flip side!

0 comments: